May 6, 2010

History Lesson

Hi everyone!

Thank you all so much for the love and support!  I even have followers!!  I am so excited.  :o)

I think that I should share a bit of my history with you.  Many of my best memories involved my niece, L.  She was my lovely model in my first post.  We have been together since the day I was born.  I was born an aunt.

I am the youngest of four children.  I am 52 years old.  Yikes!  I have two brothers and one sister.  One of my brothers passed away when I was in my late teens.  He was L's father.  My parents were older by the time I arrived.  My mom was 42 and my dad was 45.  There is an eleven year gap between me and my brother D.  Before that there are two siblings born at least a decade earlier, Brother B and Sister S.  My sister is 20 years older than I am.  (Sorry sister)  Brother B was two years older than my sister.

So you see, after all of this convoluted family tree explanation, I have siblings that were already adults when I was born.  And brother B had a daughter who is one year, two months older than me.  Okay, you may put your pencils down.  No more math!

L and I were brought up like sisters.  We were always together.  I have very few early childhood memories that don't include L.  We played together and fought together.  She taught me how to read.  She was a grade ahead of me in school so when she went to kindergarten she would teach me what she had learned.  We played dress up together, we were Gladys and Gertrude.  Those were the funniest names we could think of.  We would raid our mothers closets and jewelry boxes and be adults.  I would raid my mothers closet again as a teen...she had cashmere sweaters from the forties and fifties!  They were heavenly!

L and I had tons of adventures together.  Lots of girlish giggling and whispering.  So when I graduated from high school, it wasn't too long before I followed her once again into cosmetology.  She loved it and was very good at it.  She is still a hairstylist today.  Me?  Not so much.  I gave it up after about ten years.

One of my favorite memories of L is of a trip to a deli for lunch.  There was a deli that had the best sandwiches.  I am still searching for something comparable.  I may never find it.  The Pot Belly Deli was just a small sandwich shop but they really knew how to build a great sandwich.  This deli was down the hill from our high school and we would drive down for lunch many days.  This one trip was especially memorable.

My first car was a 1967 VW Bug.  I loved that car.  It was so much fun!  I did not get my driver's license until I was 18 so this trip to the deli was after high school.  L and I were just out running around town, laughing and having fun as always.  We stopped and had our lunch at Pot Belly Deli.  The deli was on a city street that had diagonal parking spaces all along the sidewalks.  We parked across the street from the sandwich shop.


L and I were talking and giggling over something as usual and walked out of the deli and crossed the street to my car.  We were both laughing and walking, not really paying attention to much except each other.  You know how you walk with a good friend to get into a car...together until you reach the car and then you separate to go to opposite sides of the vehicle.  That's the picture of us two girls.  Walking together and then separating.

I was still giggling about whatever and went to the driver's side of my car and got in.  When I looked to my right for L...well, let's just say she was not in my car.  I could see her...sitting in another VW Bug about three cars down!!  I can remember seeing her in that other car and just howling in laughter until I could not breathe.  She came running back to my car and hopped in, terribly embarrassed about getting into a stranger's car.

After a few minutes I was able to catch my breath to ask her about what the heck happened??!!  Apparently the other VW was the same color as mine and was unlocked.  She was not paying attention and walked up and got in the wrong car.  We were in hysterics all the way home!

Now I understand that this may not be as funny to you as it was to us.  But that is one of the best days in my life.  Good food, great friends and a memory to last a lifetime.  There were so many more days of breathless laughter we shared.  I hope you have all shared that kind of laughter with someone you know, the kind that has you rolling around gasping for air, unable to take a breath because you are laughing so hard.

I love you L!


Until next time my friends.
Judy

3 comments:

  1. Been there and done that many times. Laughter is the best part of life for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's funny. You're so lucky to have a niece/friend like L. I always wanted a sister but had to settle for an older brother, whom I fought with nonstop until I was in college. Now we're very close. But it's not the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Judy,

    Just checkin' out your new blog! Glad to see you branching out. Pretty soon, you'll be like me with 4+ blogs!

    (I don't know if it's my minotor settings, but the text is very dark and I can't read it well against the gray background. Maybe it's my wittle eyes).

    Best wishes,
    Anita and Basil

    ReplyDelete

Do you know?